Saturday was D-Day! We asked a friend, Dave, to come in and attempt to assemble a part of our structure using our first iteration of instructional drawings. We asked him to assemble a portion of the structure as we were still working through the design ourselves. Earlier in the morning, we had assembled and suspended it to confirm that it would work and if there were any particular instructions or issues we needed to address.
We were slightly anxious in getting someone who didn’t know the project at all to come in and assemble out structure, we were really hoping it wouldn’t be a complete failure! However, it proved to be a really helpful and informative experience as it became quite clear what aspects were lacking in the instructions and the different approach that Dave took in putting it together.
Beginning the assembly, Dave looking bemused!
Connecting the tetrahedrons was straightforward…
Cutting out the bin liner to make the insert, instructions were a bit confusing here.
Attaching the insert into the tetrahedron
Working out how to put them together, also a bit difficult to understand how they go.
Laying them flat on the floor helped to make sense of it.
Interesting that Dave turned them inside out to connect them, didn’t work as well.
The completed hexagon.
Threading the cord through to attach to wall. Instructions were a bit vague!
Success! Assembly completed in 40 minutes!