Bearing in mind the feedback that we had had with regards to our instructional drawings, we embarked on creating our final set of assembly instructions. Ultimately we decided to go with CAD drawings as they were a cleaner and more precise method of conveying information. Along with the CAD illustrations we are also providing photographs to give the user an idea of what the end of each step will look like and what the final kitset will look like when constructed.
One of the suggestions for improving our instructional drawings was to provide an inventory, or packing list of all the items included in the kitset. We decided that the best way to do this was to use photographs of the actual items, so that the user could immediately identify the parts provided in the kitset.
Picture screws, cable ties, split pins, cord and scissors
Folded tetrahedron modules, felt pockets, insert frames and suspension discs
We then incorporated these images, along with a number supplied, into the first page of our instructional drawings. We thought that it would also be important to note that there are spares of certain parts, so that the user will not be unsure at the end of construction and realise there are still pieces in the kitset!
Cover page showing image of fully constructed and suspended shelter
First page showing packing list and overall configuration
Second page showing assembly of the insert pieces
Next is putting together the tetrahedrons
Then filling the felt pockets
Page five is the overview of the structure assembly
Page six explains how each tetrahedron is arranged into a hexagon
Page seven moves on to the suspension of the structure
The next page then shows where the next pieces are added to the structure
And finally how the structure is fully suspended
We have tried to be very clear with our instructions and illustrations, using images of the tools and pieces needed at the top for each step and a finished product image at the end. We have also added a lot of written information to guide the user through the steps. We are pretty happy with the results – it’s all coming together!!!